Healthy living at your local library
Healthy living at your local library
Solihull has 13 libraries, which are located throughout the borough, each offering a range of services, advice, help and information to support you to a healthy lifestyle.
Get a library card
Joining the library is easy and membership is free for everyone. When you get a library card you can use it in any Solihull library and online to benefit from the large range of 24/7 online library services.
You can join by visiting the Join a Library page on the Solihull Council website.
There is also:
- a Solihull Libraries access point at Solihull Connect Local at Smith’s Wood Village Centre, Elmwood Place
- Home and Mobile library services if you are unable to get out and about to visit a library yourself
Get healthy with your local library
Solihull Libraries has a large range of services to help you improve your healthy lifestyle or start living healthily.
As well as a host of books in large print and spoken word CDs, MP3s and DVDs to give you help, advice and ideas, the Health Information kiosks also provide instant access to a world of healthy living resources.
With events taking place at all 13 libraries in the borough throughout the year too, your local library could be your not so silent partner to a brighter, healthier and happier future.
Reading Well Books on Prescription
There is growing evidence that self-help reading can be beneficial to people with certain health conditions and help them get better.
Solihull Libraries recognises and supports this by being part of the Reading Well Books on Prescription scheme.
Books on Prescription is designed to help you access and borrow the best self-help books that are available, providing you with advice, tips and self-help techniques to help manage your health and wellbeing in a way that is best for you.
The scheme can help you manage health conditions such as:
- anxiety and depression
- low self-esteem
- panic and agoraphobia
- obsessive compulsive disorder
- eating disorders
The full Books on Prescription collection is available at 4 libraries in the borough:
Dementia Books on Prescription
A collection of Dementia Books on Prescription is also available for people living with dementia.
The books are also useful for carers, friends and family members too, or anyone who wants to learn more about dementia.
You can see the full list of what books are available by downloading the Books on Prescription for Dementia list from the Solihull Council website.
Health events at your local library
Solihull Libraries also have a number of health events through the year, allowing you to find information that will help you improve your mental and physical health and wellbeing, such as:
- coffee mornings
- craft and memory sharing clubs
- hobby sessions
- knit, stitch and natter groups
- stop smoking clinics
- reading cafes
For a current list of events taking place you can visit the Health Events page on www.solihull.gov.uk.
Health Hubs from Health Exchange at Chelmsley Wood Library and Hobs Moat Library
If you are looking for ways to improve your health and wellbeing, and do not really know where to start, Chelmsley Wood and Hobs Moat libraries Health Hubs could be just the thing.
Launched in June 2015, the Health Hubs are presented by Health Exchange and provide:
- Health Trainers for advice and ideas for getting healthier
- NHS Health Checks for people between 40 and 74 years old
- free to use blood pressure, weight and body mass index (BMI) machines
- touchscreen Health Information kiosks
- healthy lifestyle books and literature
Solihull library services 24/7
You can access an extensive range of online library services round the clock. With true life stories, feature articles and news stories about the latest health matters, you can access:
- eBooks - borrow up to 3 books for up to 3 weeks on your tablet free of charge
- eMagazines - download complete magazines from 70 current titles and back issues of other titles
- eNewspapers - over 7000 worldwide titles including most UK national and local newspapers