Occupational therapy assessments

Occupational therapy assessments

An occupational therapy assessment can help you stay independent and provide information and advice about housing adaptations and equipment to help at home.

Read more information about occupational therapy on the Royal College of Occupational-Therapists website.

Email ccadults@solihull.gov.uk to contact Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8007 for your occupational assessment.

Assessing the support you need

Your occupational therapy assessment will take place after the Adult Social Care team has collected some information about you. This information can be collected at your home, over the phone or by email.

Whether you can receive care and support from Solihull Council will be based on the results, or outcomes, of your assessment against a set of rules known as the national eligibility criteria.

If you have difficulty understanding, remembering or using information, or have difficulty getting your point across, you may want to use an advocate. An advocate is someone who can help you be heard, represent you and support you with your assessment.

Read the Solihull MyLife Advocacy page for more information.

You can also choose to:

Your occupational therapy assessment

If you are eligible for an occupational therapy assessment, an occupational therapist will visit your home to assess your needs. The occupational therapist will talk to you about your health and wellbeing, observe how you carry out some of your daily activities and make recommendations with  the aim to promote your independence in the tasks you find difficult.

The assessment will look at how well you can do day to day tasks, such as:

Equipment to help you

If you are having difficulties with everyday tasks there is a wide range of equipment, which may help you. For example:

  • bathing: bathboards, seats, bath lifts
  • toileting: raised toilet seats, frames, commodes
  • showering: seats and stools
  • chairs: raisers
  • small items: large handled cutlery, kitchen aids

The occupational therapist may recommend a major adaptation to meet your need(s) this could include a stairlift, ramp or a level access shower. Major adaptations are means tested and this financial referral would be completed by your occupational therapist.

The grant available for major adaptations is the Disabled Facilities Grant. Minor adaptations recommended may include grabrails, a second stair rail, kee clamp rail or half step.

You can visit The Better Living Centre Solihull for occupational therapy information and advice and also try out some of the equipment and adaptations yourself.

Many items are available to purchase privately from local outlets such as Chemists, Disability shops and high street retailers. Alternatively take a look at the Solihull Directory.

Your occupational therapist may also be able to provide some of this for you, after your assessment has taken place.

If you do not agree with the assessment

If you do not meet the national eligibility criteria, the Adult Social Care team will:

  • provide you with information and advice on what support is available
  • discuss services which you can pay to receive
  • explore ways that you might find money to pay for them
  • introduce you to the Solihull Directory and Solihull MyLife to help you

You will always have an opportunity to give feedback about your assessment. If you disagree with the results you can ask for it to be looked at again.

If you are still not satisfied you can take your complaint to Solihull Council Complaints Team.

To help with your complaint you may find it useful to get support and take advice from an advocacy service.

Was this information helpful?

If you've found this page helpful, think the information here could be improved or have spotted a mistake please let us know.

Useful links