Hate crime

Reporting hate crime

Hate crime is a criminal offence; it's where someone is targeted because of their:

  • race
  • religion
  • gender
  • age
  • sexual orientation
  • disability

Examples of hate crime include:

  • verbal abuse and harassment
  • physical attacks
  • sexual violence
  • damage to your property
  • offensive graffiti
  • bullying - this could be in your school or workplace

Combating Hate Crime

We are determined to help people who are suffering as a result of hate crime. We understand that you may feel nervous about reporting it, but we can help. By working with other agencies and local communities we aim to eliminate hate crimes and encourage people to report them.

Combating Mate Crime

Mate crime is hate crime which is done by someone you know. Mate crime is a criminal offence and it’s where someone is usually targeted because they are disabled or different.

People that commit hate crime abuse are often called ‘fake friends’. If someone is abusing you and pretending to be a friend they are committing hate crime. They are a fake friend. Mate crime can also be committed by someone who should be looking after you, such as a healthcare worker or home help assistant.

A ‘mate’ can be a:

  • friend
  • family member
  • loved one
  • member of staff
  • another disabled person

Examples of mate crime include:

  • lending your phone to someone when they use all the credit and do not pay you
  • going to the pub with your friends when only you pay for the drinks
  • family members taking all of your money
  • being picked on and called nasty names by friends
  • people sending rude and nasty messages online or by mobile phone
  • being forced to have sex if you do not want to

Where to get help

To report an incident to West Midlands Police call 101 or if it's an emergency dial 999.

Alternatively, we have independent reporting centres for anyone to come forward and report in incident of hate or mate crime.

Find your local reporting centre

The centres allow victims and witnesses to report incidents in a safe and comfortable environment. All cases are treated with confidence, and you can report an incident without having to speak to the police. A trained member of staff will be able to provide confidential advice and guidance, and refer victims to appropriate support services if required.

Additional support

The following organisations can provide help and support if you’re a victim of hate or mate crime.


You can visit Report-it.org.uk to report hate crime incidents online.

Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice website provides advice about:

You can also access an easy-to-read guide about hate crime.